NV退出主板业务???

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
1#
发表于 2008-8-1 23:58 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
显卡区讨论的热热闹闹这里怎么一点反应也没啊
% o3 r1 K! L8 g: S! Y: `7 zNvidia to quit chipset business
. f+ B' w- c: R# Y  
. Q9 K0 {( e9 `( N0 ~) FRicky Morris, DIGITIMES, Taipei [Friday 1 August 2008] 1 U& {9 _% K, K0 r7 P

3 X( F3 _& B1 }% \4 |4 U. L) t; p+ R; f+ L, _2 K8 ]
Nvidia has decided to throw in the towel and quit the chipset business, sources close to the situation at one of Taiwan's top motherboard makers have revealed. As the story is told, Nvidia called a meeting earlier this week with its motherboard partners to gauge support for it continuing to develop chipsets in the future.
8 W9 ?* _2 Y# j  b, ?' `6 Y
8 w0 L; r9 h; A3 R/ NThe motherboard makers' response? Silence.! z/ @8 P- u  N; M' z
  I2 b$ D. s/ \" W
It is still early days and not all the facts are known at the time of writing, but it is believed Nvidia will transfer the chipset team to working on GPU projects. On the motherboard makers' side, some makers have already canceled upcoming high-end motherboard projects based on the nForce 7-series chipset.
4 l' T2 v( n' Z- N
; e/ ]& K* p$ c5 @The loss of its chipset business is expected to have a significant impact on Nvidia's GPU business in the short-term. Reception to the nForce 200 chip (BR04) which will enable SLI technology on Intel X58 motherboards has been lukewarm at best, with many makers saying they will not bother adding the chip on their boards. This means Nvidia needs to find a way of licensing and enabling multi-GPU support on motherboards using Intel and/or AMD chipsets fast. Otherwise it will have to cede the top-end of the graphics card market to AMD, which now has the benefit of Crossfire.
. ]8 r7 D# ~$ u( I, h4 }  I* D, H4 Y' e6 z5 A, Q. z
The news would also debunk any recent speculation that Apple will be adopting Nvidia chipsets for its upcoming notebook products. It would be unfortunate if Apple really has poured water on the close relationship it has built with Intel over the past few years, only to have its new best friend exit the market before products are even announced.
. J3 t* \& R+ q1 C" N# ]# S
( T7 D+ v- U8 i' NCategories: Mobo, chipset 5 G, O) a# c4 T- E, y
http://we.pcinlife.com/thread-977653-1-1.html: f. H2 d5 V* V( c; W- d
$ Y' [+ v) y4 c
http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20080801VL203.html6 a, L  s5 {) o6 O( N% O

+ L; ?7 E. T3 L0 l  q5 phttp://www.fudzilla.com/index.ph ... d=8723&Itemid=1  m6 k* N7 R1 L- ?9 e) v

( j8 r& ^- \. v& Z[ 本帖最后由 jimqyui 于 2008-8-1 23:59 编辑 ]
周生生 该用户已被删除
2#
发表于 2008-8-2 00:09 | 只看该作者
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

3#
发表于 2008-8-2 00:25 | 只看该作者
看来NF4是最辉煌的一代了,以后没有NV主板可惜啊。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

4#
发表于 2008-8-2 01:00 | 只看该作者
好象可能性不大
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

5#
发表于 2008-8-2 01:17 | 只看该作者
只是自己不再推公版而已。
* g/ l4 ^/ c$ `% _# J$ {3 u# r: g: b: T7 z
厂商都被他逼急了。- V( a% S3 ^: E0 O& k  s% I( |
; L8 ?; h( A8 u6 W- c
不给人家活路,谁给他活路?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

6#
发表于 2008-8-2 01:33 | 只看该作者
{sweat:]    nVIDIA的主板芯片组也就靠AMD的K7处理器起家,K8时代延续了K7时代的辉煌。现在AMD处理器性能不济,而且原ATI的芯片组配合AMD处理器也并非一无是处。同时NV在intel平台方面又难有大的作为,毕竟intel的芯片组很有一套,长期以来积累的经验非一朝一夕可以吃得透的。6 N8 ~! n- k' [! @5 y: X' X

* j% ^5 y1 ]" D! |( R) p) @6 j所谓成也XX,败也XX。。。 {closedeyes:]( ~) o) h; o* }# X/ Q* n# b

7 h. M* d4 J! m/ K- {[ 本帖最后由 93blue 于 2008-8-2 01:35 编辑 ]
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

7#
发表于 2008-8-2 10:34 | 只看该作者
我们的NF区,,怎么办,,,
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

8#
发表于 2008-8-2 10:37 | 只看该作者
谣言吧,还等mcp7a呢
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

9#
发表于 2008-8-2 10:38 | 只看该作者
Update:  We have gotten a response directly from NVIDIA denying that they were exiting the chipset business.  NVIDIA's response is posted below.../ L" o: n! b4 Z9 j1 O( Z2 \
6 h$ j1 y8 F( L7 ^! K
1. The story on Digitimes is completely groundless. We have no intention of getting out of the chipset business.$ M3 \$ }: a' w7 X3 Z/ A- b
% V; X2 _# a( K" t, y
2. In fact, our MCP business is as strong as it ever has been for both AMD and Intel platforms:' z- g. h: r9 Z( x8 Z4 x# }1 x
a. Mercury Resear**as reported that the NVIDIA market share of AMD platforms in Q2 08 was 60%. We have been steady in this range for over two years.
& }7 b& R) P7 n5 }: q% W, T3 tb. SLI is still the preferred multi-GPU platform thanks to its stellar scaling, game compatibility and driver stability.
% F) p3 o* E" a! bc. nForce 790i SLI is the recommended choice by editors worldwide due to its compelling combination of memory performance, overclocking, and support for SLI.
% D' O0 M" t  i- g" d
9 ?  L0 ^" m% I* t$ ~% c& j3. We're looking forward to bring new and very exciting MCP products to the market for both AMD and Intel platforms.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

10#
发表于 2008-8-2 10:52 | 只看该作者
NVIDIA to Ars: we're not leaving the chipset market* A7 A) ^! e. v* U2 a: c0 f
( q* m( b6 N1 R
NVIDIA's been taking a hammering from the rumor mill of late, but a recent story at DigiTimes appears to have been over the top. Contrary to what has been reported, NVIDIA confirmed to Ars that it has no intention whatsoever of leaving the chipset market in the foreseeable future, and that the company remains strong in both AMD and Intel markets. 
4 [9 o. I. W+ E, X! R- {' i$ A# P9 r( I' j
7 r6 g* s  T% R# K$ U6 a, A& g4 O
Earlier today, DigiTimes made waves with a story claiming that motherboard manufacturers were less-than-interested in future NV-based chipsets, that the company had lost some high-profile design wins, and that the entire chipset team was going to be shifted into the graphics department. The original story cited a single, unnamed Taiwanese motherboard manufacturer as evidence for this information, and no other motherboard company has stepped out to confirm (or in fairness, deny) the original allegations. 
- I6 N6 ]" a/ R: v8 \% ?* ?
. s4 d# q7 e! iIn my own opinion, the DigiTimes story doesn't ring very true. If NVIDIA was actually planning to restructure itself in the manner described by DigiTimes, it would have to file the appropriate financial documents. The company's chipset division is a non-trivial source of both revenue and expenditures, and NVIDIA couldn't simply wave it good-bye and pretend it didn't exist at the next shareholder's meeting. DigiTimes' story corresponds with other rumors that motherboard manufacturers—specifically Foxconn, DFI, and Gigabyte—are canceling their 790i-based products. 0 L- C+ u5 x( v9 l5 D5 n2 i

9 z( R2 Z& c8 `: S0 S- ^! r2 DWe reached out to all three companies with requests for information, but haven't heard back yet—I'll update you here if/when we do. One thing I'd like to note, however, is that motherboard manufacturers can and do change roadmaps all the time. Once upon a time, Gigabyte planned an HTPC-style, DTX-compatible motherboard for AMD processors, codenamed Churchill. Prototypes were obviously built, the board was demo'd several times at major industry events, and then....nothing. No one ran around arguing that Gigabyte's decision to drop its DTX product meant AMD was doomed (though the DTX standard hasn't exactly been adopted), and both Gigabyte and AMD went on about their business. 
% _/ w# B* A( k+ Z6 i
9 D( y$ e0 c6 N" l  G. B4 HCompanies large and small are jittery about a recession, and smaller companies like DFI or Foxconn may not have wanted to risk building high-end boards at the $329—$449 price point current 790i SLI Ultra boards are selling at, particularly with the X48 shipping and the X58 not so far away. Even if several manufacturers have backed off 790i products for whatever reason, it doesn't automatically follow that there's a problem with the 790i chipset. NVIDIA will have a new round of chipsets out for post-Bloomfield Nehalem processors—a fact the company stressed when Ars spoke to them today, and one that undercuts the idea that NVIDIA plans to leave the chipset market. , L8 Q, U  `3 p3 D3 s: n

0 L2 }/ }4 q9 ]5 q7 NSweeping accusations make for good headlines, and NVIDIA's Dell/HP recall problem makes them a tempting target at the moment. After talking with the company, however, I personally remain unwilling to jump on the grand, green conspiracy bandwagon.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

11#
发表于 2008-8-2 12:10 | 只看该作者
竞争对手越少,卖价就会越高,不是好现象啊
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

12#
发表于 2008-8-2 16:52 | 只看该作者
NV太过强势了一点,790i只有华硕一家出就不是什么好现象
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报